Are you head of the class on Hackler… or Brian-dead?
You may already know our VP/Operations Brian Hackler – or at least recognize his outstanding beard. With 22 years of experience comes great wisdom (and facial hair).
But do you think you know enough to get all 5 of our Brian-centric quiz questions right? We took a moment to hack into Hackler’s brain. See how you stack up.
1. Brian loves animals. But what kind of animals will you find at his house?
- 1 dog, 1 cat and 1 turtle
- 3 cats
- 1 dog
- 1 dog and 2 bunnies
- No inside pets, but 5 chickens
BRIAN’S DOG CHLOE
- 6 years old (that’s 42 in dog years, of course!)
- Brian describes her as follows: “Chloe is a total card and loves meeting people. When we take her out with us, everyone wants to pet her and she eats it up. She’s the life of the party when we go to Home Depot – all the employees come out to see her.”
- Once upon a time, Brian and Carol had 3 dogs and 1 cat.
- Oh, and how does Brian feel about cats? “I do like cats too,” he says. “Our first pet was a kitten named Turbo that grew into a monster – he was a Maine Coon cat and was a huge 13” high at the shoulder and 3’ long from nose to tail. We used to joke about the dogs cowering when Turbo entered the room and how he ruled with an iron paw.”
2. Which of the following is Brian oft heard saying around the Brewer office?
- Bob’s your uncle
- Piggly Wiggly
- Bloody Hell
- Flies a little too loose
- 6 one way, half a dozen another
- In today’s world…
- We gotta test it
- Squeaky wheel gets the grease
- Sticky wicket
- Horse of a different color
- All of the above (and more!)
Client Support Manager Carmen Campbell puts it like this: “When I first started at BDI, I noticed that Brian had all these ‘sayings’ – and that none of us had any idea what any of them meant! We laughed every time there was a new ‘Brianism’ and after so many, I just had to start writing them down and keeping track!”
Brian himself says, “I love euphemisms! Not only do they convey situations in a new way, but they also grab people’s attention. What better way to say things are a mess than to say, ‘Things are all higgledy piggledy!’?”
3. What does Brian like to do when he’s NOT working?
- Collect historical firearms
- Watch sci-fi movies
- Watch TV dramas
- Work around his house
- Work as a volunteer firefighter
- Learn to fly airplanes
- 1, 2, 3 and 4
- 2, 3, and 5
- 1, 4, 5, 6
Collecting historical firearms: “I especially enjoy finding firearms from WWI and WWII. There’s nothing better than holding a piece of history in your hands.”
Watching sci-fi movies: “A couple of my favorites are Star Wars and Aliens.”
Watching TV dramas: “Some of my favorites are Game of Thrones, Justified, Walking Dead and Lost.”
Working around his house: “I enjoy working on projects around the home when I have time. For example, I built an exterior cabinet for our tankless water heater that matched the look of our house.”
4. How long has Brian been employed at Brewer Direct?
- Since the company began in 2004
- Started in 2005, left in 2007 and came back in 2010
BRIAN ON BDI
LONG-TIME COLLABORATORS. Brian worked with Brewer’s President/CEO Randy and VP/Account Strategist Rod for almost 10 years before Brewer Direct began (1995-2004).
- FUN FACT! Brewer Direct was founded in 2004.
2017 is Brian’s 11th year at BDI! In total, that means Brian has worked with Randy and Rod for over 20 years!
THE WAY TO A MAN’S HEART… When Randy wanted to hire Brian on the BDI team, he focused his efforts on convincing Carol, Brian’s wife. “Randy figured if he could convince her, she would convince me… and it worked. I’m glad I chose to come to Brewer Direct!”
- Brian adds with a grin, “There was also mention of Brewer Direct going to the movies on Friday afternoons – I’m still waiting to see that happen!”
DAY ONE (SEND COFFEE!) On his first day, Brian entered BDI as our 3rd employee. “It was great coming in to work with Randy and Rod again,” he says. “We had a small suite with 3 offices. We each had a desk… and that was about it. There was no water or coffee, so we had to go down the street to get any drinks.”
BREWER’S BEST. The best part of working at BDI? “I love the way I’ve been able to contribute to the success of the Rescue Missions (and other nonprofit clients) by helping them raise funds to continue helping others,” Brian says. “There’s no job more rewarding!”
5. EXTRA CREDIT: How many pieces of mail does Brian estimate he’s put into the mail through Brewer’s Production Department?
Get to know all of us at BDI better… by getting in touch @brewerdirect!