19 Aug The tale of 3 Mindys
Once upon a time, Brewer Direct was a place of no Mindys at all. One day, long ago, the first Mindy came to work…then years later, a second Mindy…and not long after, a third Mindy. These 3 Mindys were alike in name…and yet very different in all other ways.
MEET MINDY VANDERHOEVEN
When I got my first job, people starting calling me Melinda. But it didn’t stick – Melinda just didn’t feel right. I’ll always be a Mindy!
Full name? Melinda Gayle VanderHoeven
Melinda or Mindy? I’ve always gone by Mindy (since I was born). The only time I’ve been called Melinda was when I was a kid and I was in trouble!
Although…when I got my first job after college, people starting calling me Melinda because it was the official name on my paperwork and I thought I’d try something new.
But it didn’t stick – Melinda just didn’t feel right. I’ll always be a Mindy!
How to distinguish me from the other Mindys at BDI? I’m the Mindy who’s the digital AND results guru at BDI. I’m also the Mindy that’s been at BDI the longest and am the only one at BDI that has also worked at a Rescue Mission.
I’ve been enjoying working in digital as it’s challenging, constantly changing and there’s always more to learn. I also like being able to use my creative and technical skills.
A few other cool things about Mindy V.:
- I recently moved to Los Angeles to the fun neighborhood of Silver Lake and am loving exploring the city more and discovering all the amazing food places.
- I love to go hiking (or doing anything outdoors!), yoga, and am a sports fanatic – go Dodgers and Colts!
MEET MINDY SHERFY
My boys love to tease me that I can be having a stern conversation...and when I pick up my phone to answer a client call, I immediately use what they describe as my “phone voice”...2 octaves higher than my “mom” voice.
What is your full name? Melinda Jane (Stubenhofer) Sherfy
Melinda or Mindy? I’ve always gone by Mindy. I think with a maiden name like “Stubenhofer,” the shorter the first name, the better. The only person to ever use my full name was my dad when I was in trouble.
My sisters are Melissa Jo (Missy) and Megan Joy. My husband’s name is Mark, which is a bit too close to “Mork,” so we get some jokes about that.
How to distinguish me from the other Mindys at BDI? I guess I’m the “new Mindy” or maybe the “far away Mindy.”
I know I’m the oldest Mindy and possibly the only “mother” Mindy. I have two boys – Josh and Jordan – who folks may see pop their heads in the background during a Go To Meeting.
My boys love to tease me that I can be having a stern conversation with them in my office and when I pick up my phone to answer a client call, I immediately use what they describe as my “phone voice.” According to them it’s two octaves higher than my “mom” voice.
A few other cool things about Mindy S.:
- My husband and my boys remind me daily why I do what I do.
- I got my first job in fundraising right out of college and I really had no concept of homelessness. I grew up in a town of 600 people.
- One of the first times I was at City Union Mission taking photos, there was a girl about 3 or 4 who was staying at the family shelter with her mom. Not anything I could have imagined as a kid. It hit me that not everyone had a mom or dad, or grandparents or aunts and uncles, to be their safety net. I was fortunate enough to have that and still do. My clients are folks on the frontlines, providing the family – the support – so many homeless don’t have.
MEET MINDY BORTZ
I’ve never worked with, went to school with or even met another Mindy until I started working at BDI. It’s so weird that there are 3 of us!
Full name? Melinda Rae Bortz
Melinda or Mindy? I’ve always been called Mindy for as long as I can remember. There were a couple exceptions: if I got in trouble with my parents or by teachers on the first day of school.
My mom wanted to name me Mindy, but my dad wanted me to have a more professional-sounding name just in case I wanted to be a doctor, so they compromised by calling me Mindy and putting Melinda on my birth certificate.
You’d think Mindy would be short enough, but now my family and friends just call me Min. Confusing, right?
How to distinguish me from the other Mindys at BDI? I’m the Mindy who’s in charge of designing at BDI. I’m also the one who brings in cupcakes on people’s birthdays. And I’m the youngest of the 3 Mindys!
A few other cool things about Mindy B.:
- I have a cat-child named Maisie.
- I enjoy baking, camping and gardening.
No matter what your name is, tell us your tale @brewerdirect!